Spicy Holiday Omega LongCakesTM
(3 servings or 12 pancakes)
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 tbsp Durk & Sandy's® High Oleic Sunflower OilTM
3 tsp Butter Buds®
1 cup Omega (or regular) LongCakes mix
- Beat the egg and buttermilk with a whisk or fork until frothy. Then add High Oleic Sunflower Oil and Butter Buds and whisk further. Always mix the liquid ingredients and Butter Buds before adding the LongCakes mix.
- Gradually blend in the LongCakes mix until texture is consistent. Don't overbeat.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to medium-hot (400°F). Oil lightly with High Oleic Sunflower Oil and spoon out about 3 tbsp of batter per pancake.Cook until bubbles break at the surface, then flip and grill briefly until just cooked through.
- Serve with maple syrup or a low-calorie substitute, honey, fruit preserves, cinnamon, or whatever you prefer.
FOR THE SPICY HOLIDAY VERSION OF OMEGA LONGCAKES:
To each cup of Omega (or regular) LongCakes mix, add 1/2 tsp nutmeg,1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tbsp ground ginger. Mix to blend, and prepare as above.
Note: Spices are antioxidants and are thermogenic, plus they operate as mild psychostimulants, making you feel "in the spirit" of the Yuletide season.
Japanese, Dutch, and American studies indicate that deaths from coronary artery disease are reduced by more than 50% by the consumption of one to two fish meals per week.*
* Connor WE. n-3 Fatty acids from fish and fish oil: panacea or nostrum? Am J Clin Nutr 2001 Oct;74(4):415-6.